Thursday, April 02, 2009

An idea for a journal that will cornhole my students' minds

So every day I start the class with ten minutes of writing based on a journal prompt I come up with: it's a quote, a news story, a hypothetical question, song lyrics, etc...

So here's my idea:

I'll tell my student about a recently released study that showed that people who are more critical and skeptical are perceived by others to be smarter than they actually are. I will not actually show my students this article, I'll just say I read it. Then, after they spend 15 minutes explaining to me why this is, I will tell them that I made up this article and in fact there is no correlation between skepticism and perceived intelligence.

Then after that, I'll show them the article, which is in fact, real.

Do you think my students will understand the 7-layer burrito of irony?

2 comments:

cyrusfx said...

No, I don't think they will.

I guess being critical of something means you know enough about something to be able to make judgments about it, which implies intelligence. But some people are just critical because they're assholes, they may not know wtf they're talking about but they enjoy bitching.

marchhare14 said...

I agree. I asked a couple of people about it and you're the first person to understand it.