Friday, April 17, 2009

My favorite games of 2008 (in decending order):

5) Braid
4) GTA IV
3) Gears of War 2
2) Left4Dead
1) Fallout 3

Basically, the first two are interchangeable because you could argue that Fallout 3 is the richest single-player game, while Left4Dead redefines co-op FPS dynamics. I love both games and play them as often as humanly possible.

Gears of War 2 is also on there for the multiplayer aspect (though I did enjoy the single-player campaign). The Horde, if you've played it with a full compliment of companions, is electrifying and hectic, much like all of Left4Dead (which is why left for dead is a better game).

Braid is a fucking weird but awesome game in old-school 2D platform style but with bizzaro Prince of Persia like time controls. The barren simplistic story is oddly fitting and I think that this is kinda like this year's Portal, except that Portal is probably better in several respects than the other games I've mentioned (I'm looking at you Fallout for your crappy FPS combat and you, Left4Dead because you're not nearly as amusing as GLaDOS from Portal).

We all know why GTA is good. I'll let you know when I start the missions and stop playing my own "Hit as many pedestrians as you can before the police can catch you" mini-game that's my go-to gaming style on all GTA games. Oh, except for when I use cheat codes to spawn boats on top of people/cars. That's a whole different awesome game-within-a-game.

2 comments:

Huge Larry said...

That list looks pretty solid.

I'm getting into Street Fighter 4, which has pretty much the same mechanics as SF2 with a few minor tweaks and additions.

I suppose that could be seen as both good and bad. I tend to think of it as good. There's something about the purity of the traditional 2D fighter that was never matched by any of the games which allow 3D movement.

I'm taking the opportunity to learn some characters that I never cared about before, such as the mighty Zangief, who is actually quite a bear. It turns out that using the thumbstick instead of the D-Pad makes it a million times easier to pull off certain moves, especially the circular 360 and 720 spinning motions that are required for Giefs big slams.

cyrusfx said...

Radnor wrote:

"We all know why GTA is good. I'll let you know when I start the missions and stop playing my own "Hit as many pedestrians as you can before the police can catch you" mini-game that's my go-to gaming style on all GTA games.""

Believe it or not, I only completed about 2 or 3 missions in GTA (my bro did all the rest), because I don't believe in missions. Yet I've logged hundreds of hours in this game, playing the very same mini-game you describe.

These days I like to

-punch a cab car
-wait for the cabbie to get out and start trying to fight you
-make the cabbie get into a fight with a random pedestrian who happened to be in the way of me and the cabbie's fist -OR-
-take a punch in front of the cops so they get out and arrest the cabbie
-steal the cop car with the cabbie still in the back
-jump out of the cop car right before letting it slam into a brick wall at full speed, watch to see if the cabbie lives.

But nothing's better than watching a shootout between an angry pedestrian/motorist and LCPD's finest.

Except maybe for when you ram a car with a truck hard enough, the driver gets out screaming and on fire.

I've never heard of any of those other games.