"There's a petty, tribal satisfaction in seeing a member of our team really put the other team in their place. And there's a rush of outrage adrenaline when the other team says something mean about us. So, instead of covering pending legislation or the impact it could have on your life, the news media covers the dick-measuring contest."
Good points, good humour. (Beware the alien.)
In short, here are the 5 ways popular news headlines turn significant shit into the aforementioned 'dick measuring contest.'
5. The Headline Contains the Word "Gaffe."
4. The Headline Ends in a Question Mark.
3. The Headline Contains the Word "Blasts."
2. The Headline Is About a "Lawmaker" Saying Something Stupid.
1. The Headline Includes the Phrase "Blow To."
There's a rebuttal to be made against this article that pertains to the reality of politics, but I'll chill on that for now.