Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Outstanding article about the political news culture...

"There's a petty, tribal satisfaction in seeing a member of our team really put the other team in their place. And there's a rush of outrage adrenaline when the other team says something mean about us. So, instead of covering pending legislation or the impact it could have on your life, the news media covers the dick-measuring contest."

Good points, good humour. (Beware the alien.)

In short, here are the 5 ways popular news headlines turn significant shit into the aforementioned 'dick measuring contest.'

5. The Headline Contains the Word "Gaffe."

4. The Headline Ends in a Question Mark.

3. The Headline Contains the Word "Blasts."

2. The Headline Is About a "Lawmaker" Saying Something Stupid.

1. The Headline Includes the Phrase "Blow To."

There's a rebuttal to be made against this article that pertains to the reality of politics, but I'll chill on that for now.

4 comments:

cyrusfx said...

I like how with the headlines that end in a question, the answer is always "no."

I'm going to try to avoid caring about politics for the rest of the year, but I will go vote.

cyrusfx said...

Oh yeah, and Kevin, you owe me a dollar.

Not really but you know.

Mondu said...

We'll have to wait until the convention to settle that bet. And ya I'll make good on it. I'll hook you up with a sweet handroll full of choice danish export (1$ worth) or I'll give you a bill, your choice.

I'm in a political K-hole sorts, just waiting for WWIII to start. Actually the new circus version of occupy wall st. is starting back up so there might be some good stuff to behold.

cyrusfx said...

I dunno, it does kind of feel like there's some shit brewing in the air... it will be an interesting rest of the year.

I need to set a YouTube new video alert for terms like OWS, riots, police brutality and squalor.