Saturday, September 22, 2012

Crescendo + Accelerando

One of the most cleanly performed rock crescendo/accelerando blasters of all time can be found on the Foo Fighters album "The Colour And The Shape" track 13, "New Way Home." It's a slow, steady burn that builds to a life ender. I still don't understand why--in the rules of written English--punctuation occurs inside of quotation marks. It's so counterintuitive (yeah that's one word). It doesn't make any, fucking sense. It's as if you are posthumously imparting punctuation into the passage being quoted. And yes, I know that posthumously means "after death," but you know what I'm saying. By the by, the comma at the end of the previous quote is exactly the fuck what I'm talking about. Everything inside the quote should be unadulterated. It is immoral to allow punctuation to be added, ex post facto, in such a way as to potentially co-opt the continuation of the sentence so as to fit the whims of the quoter. Josh: Was it correct for me to use the em dash above, instead of the comma in the following sentence? "I still don't understand why--in the rules of written English--punctuation occurs inside of quotation marks." ...or is this better? "I still don't understand why, in the rules of written English, punctuation occurs inside of quotation marks." ... I think the em dash is designed to imply that the person writing the sentence was distracted and couldn't bring the original thought home to bear. They digressed, feltched themselves, and then finally brought it home. I abhor sentences that are so long and contradictory that they require multiple parsings in order for said wordage to be fathomed. Done.

3 comments:

Mondu said...

Gotta. Keep. It. Modular.

Really though, it's hard to resist a bloated, unwieldy sentence, dripping with its own grammatical juices, ripe for assimilation by a mind capable of parsing out the unending cadence of linguistically encapsulated information content, clause after clause, indefinitely off into the horizon of the ellipsis...

Huge Larry said...

I think my problem is that I spend more time parsing code than I do written language. That, combined with neural decay, has left me unable to decipher sentences which are overly complex. It's not so much length alone that hurts me, but rather odd reversals of logic, whereby it's hard to keep track of all the toggling. Maybe ski will help me to bridge the chasm.

Mondu said...

I had a comment to put here that referenced scientology but it was too long and lame so I'm saying this instead. A 'good' scientology based post is forthcoming.