Friday, November 23, 2012

Clefulation

I'm trying to gain a basic understanding of how to read sheet music and play it on piano. I've got some little apps that help me learn, but it's going to take a lot of time and effort to become at all proficient. In some ways, I feel like it's a waste of time, but it's always bothered me that I can't read music. I feel like it's a realm that has been closed off to me, and I want to pop that cherry. So, what do you think? Will it be worth my while, or would my time be better spent blasting guitar chops?

6 comments:

cyrusfx said...

Well it will hurt your brain, thats guaranteed, but its much like learning a new language in that brainpain = soulgain.

I have a handy chord progressions book in case I want to quickly figure out how to play the new Morrissey single or something, but when I'm composing it all comes straight from the gut. I mean the heart. Maybe its both.

cyrusfx said...

My gut and heart are mere inches away from each other.

Huge Larry said...

Riffs can also be formed in the loins.

I'd like to have the ability to hear music in my mind and put it down on paper without needing to have an instrument or recording implement. I think that would be keen.

cyrusfx said...

I guess that's what Beethoven did after he went deaf. He just was so hot on his music theory that he knew what should sound melodic and interesting based on his understanding of musical aesthetics.

Though the Family Guy sketch where they make fun of his "Ode to Joy" piece was pretty awesome.

Mondu said...

I've been trying to get my read on the guitar recently, but it's hard to give anything precedence over the monolithic goal of developing fretboard intuition. The real challenge for me is to assimilate all those clusters of intervallic patterns (ie. shapes) and I don't think reading will help with that.

Mondu said...

But ya I've wanted those reading skills for awhile too.