Monday, December 03, 2012

Something else should be up here

Its time for a new post. I need something to do while Excel undoes a slipped cell. I accidentally dragged one formula down one row, pressed control-z, and now have to wait about 10 minutes in order for it to finish "calculating" its "1 processor." Its 1% done. I am listening to the Washington Redskins game in the background but found the radio player's existence to have a negligible impact on the processing time it takes for Excel to undo one fucking little thing.

Now's the part where I brag about my massive data collection in spreadsheet form, which in addition to the fact that my computer is approaching 7 years of age, is what I expect is making the program run so slow. Its now 5% done. I'm compiling data on stock prices (ETFs), finally loading the data into the spreadsheet, now that I've made all the formulas to auto-retrieve data from the past (or future). Then I plan to feed further-refined variables into my neural network Excel add-in to see if some ETF technical events/situations are more likely to produce future gains in price than others.

There's a lot of things to take into consideration, and I suspect that I will have minimal results at first, but perhaps I can at least learn which variables are more important in predicting an outcome, and then feed more of that data into the network. As it stands I only have about 1600 lines of data; I'd like to have at least 10,000 lines. It must be all the formulas that's making Excel run slow, it will be fun to de-format them once I have all the initial data compiled. Now its 40% done. I need a new box. Here's a random picture from My Pictures:

 

7 comments:

Mondu said...

I'm a Dog; Calm down, you're just a mammal that found a collar.

Mondu said...

Also, Intrade is asking all US users to close their accounts. No more fantasies about making rich on Intrade for me.

cyrusfx said...


"The report of Intrade's death was premature", says Intrade right now.

Either way, its just another market for rich people to corrupt, manipulate and suck the life out of. So, I'm fine with its abolition. Abolishment is not a word? C'mon, Blogger, work with me here.

Huge Larry said...

Slor, slor, slor, slor... I'm all slorred out from working too much. Need ski blast to the cranium. Time to go back to data cave and crank out code.

cyrusfx said...

You and Mr. Lydon have two jobs that I can honestly say I will never understand. I mean, I can visualize surgery: you wanna put the thing in the thing so the patient doesn't die, and then sew them back up.

But for your guys jobs I don't understand what the target is because that would require an in-depth knowledge of a hardcore subject.

In your mind, you can probably visualize how the computer uses code to make magic happen, starting with pressing the "on" button and ending with customer satisfaction.

You're going to be part of the Bill Gates era of people who actually understand how computers and software works, the last of a generation.

But pretty soon idiocracy will take over as is foretold and our computers will get progressively sloppier, because no one will have the knowledge base or intelligence to replicate the last one.

That was a weird rant.

cyrusfx said...

But everything won't go to pot until after the sack of Washington D.C. in 2066, during the great 2nd Mexican-American War.

Then future generations of ante-Americans will just be stuck with old posters for iPods and Xbox games, brochures for medical robots and power substation software, thinking man we missed out on some cool shit.

But then the Canadians and Mexicans will unite to elect a new King of America, a bloodthirsty warlord who uses brute force to merge Canada, the U.S. and Mexico into a single empire, unwittingly beginning a thousand-year period of darkness.

But after that, there will be a new American Renaissance, and shit will be cool again.

Huge Larry said...

I'm sure you'd have no problem understanding the basic nature of computer programming if you walked through some examples. It's all about commanding a computer to do things in a certain deterministic way using a series of instructions. The complexity comes when software gets really massive and you have all these different subsystems interacting in unexpected ways. That's when the best data wranglers are needed to corral the bugs and restructure the code for sustained cleanliness and high power.