Tuesday, June 30, 2015

RIP Chris Squire

 

Bassist of the band Yes, for 47 years! About 15 years before the date of this photo I saw them play in the Universal Ampitheater, which was about 15 years after their last major single. I have to wonder what the point of having 3 necks on your bass (or guitar) would be though. You'd think you could cover the pitch of 88 piano keys in 2 necks, but maybe there's some overlap to center the juicy tones in the middle of the neck(s). 

Here's a track that is representative of his bass prowess. It slowly morphs into "The Fish," a 7/8 number which remains one of my favorite instrumental rock tracks of all time.

1 comment:

Huge Larry said...

That's some nice prog rock you got there, Doug. Some parts remind me of early Genesis. I think the main motif in the 7/8 song is guitar harmonics across all open strings.