Thursday, July 09, 2015

Somebody (or bot) recently uploaded the entire Cyrusfx Impermenance track list to YouTube...

... most likely in an attempt to come up with a cheesy way to get money for YouTube advertisements.

While I am flattered that they chose my material out of the thousands of other random music artists on the internet, they should ultimately know better and that they are just wasting their time.

Even if people follow the links to Google Music, Amazon and iTunes and actually buy my albums or tracks, it won't help me because I don't get _ANY_ of that money! (regardless of how little my proper share should be.)

I would like to get back into music making, but at this point it costs too much to buy decent home recording studio gear, so I would just as soon work my piano chops back up and join a live band. The money is all in the gigs, anyway, and even that ain't a whole lot of money...

Here's a track that was composed entirely on the XL-7.. There's a few artifacts that were introduced during a step of their conversion process, but otherwise, yeah, this song is better than I remember it.

3 comments:

Huge Larry said...

That's a cleanly evolving and morphing electronic soundscape. Don't let the bad bots bogart your wares, son. If you want electronic music creation on the cheap, then I recommend you get Reaper as your DAW software, then download a bunch of free soft synths. There are actually a good number of decent, free VST synth plugins on the USS Internets, but it may take a while to seek them out.

cyrusfx said...

I used to use Cockos Reaper for the mastering plugin, until I discovered WaveLab.

These days I'm out of the production scene. I do want to work my piano chops more though.

Even if I made the crispest, cleanest, dopest banger of a production, like something that Skrillex would spin, who the fuck still cares? So in a good scenario I get $1,000 in iTunes sales (for selling at least 3,000 downloads), and maybe an equal amount in gig money spread across 6 months to a year. Its no way to make a living.

You pretty much have to already be rich in order to pursue a career that you are passionate about, because there's a good chance that if its any fun, its already being pursued by millions of people. Many of which are willing to do the job for less money than you are.

Huge Larry said...

I hear ya. I think home-grown audio production can be a fun hobby, but it's definitely a tough way to make a living. At this point, I've pretty much given up on being able to do something really fun and creative as a means of financial support. I guess it's not so bad to pipe data for the man, then mess around during free time. The only bummer is that, as one gets older, one has less zest for expending mental energy outside of work hole.